Part I Written Examination: Candidate Application
The American Board of Oral Implantology/Implant Dentistry application deadline for Part I and Part II examination is now December 1st of each calendar year. Part II case submissions must be submitted electronically with the application.
There are 5 routes of entry for board certification, download the American Board of Oral Implantology/Implant Dentistry (ABOI/ID) application and apply under your qualifying route. Once you've completed your application, please send it via email to Diplomate@aboi.org. If you have any questions, please contact the ABOI/ID headquarters office.
Route 1: Dental Implantology Program | You are a graduate of a Full Time post-doctoral program 2 years in length in Oral Implantology. If you are able to fulfill the requirements for this route, you are exempt from taking the Part I written examination.
Route 2: Board Certified Specialist | You are a board certified graduate of a full time advanced education program. If you are able to fulfill the requirements for this route, you are exempt from taking the Part I written examination.
Route 3: Dental Specialist| Non-Board Certified | You have completed a full time advanced education program.
Route 4: General Practitioner | You are a general dentist, or dental specialist not listed in Routes 1, 2 or 3, you are licensed to practice dentistry where you reside.
Route 5: General Practitioner (AAID Fellow or Associate Fellow) | You are a general dentist, or dental specialist not listed in Routes 1, 2 or 3, you are licensed to practice dentistry where you reside. If you are a FELLOW of the AAID you are exempt from taking the Part I written examination.
For more detailed information, please click on application.
Part II Oral Examination: Candidate Application and Case Submission Templates
The ABOI/ID Part II Examination is an oral examination which consists of standardized cases developed by the ABOI/ID as well as cases that the candidate submits to the ABOI. (Candidates will be examined on four (4) of the cases that are submitted)
Oral Examination case requirements:
• You will be required to submit eight (8) cases in all.
• You may not use the same patient for multiple cases.
• Your cases must be restored and functional for a minimum of one year at the time of case submission.
1) Edentulous mandible or maxilla with a full arch removable implant overdenture, utilizing two (2) or more implants - Case 1 Template
2) Edentulous posterior maxilla with pneumatized maxillary sinus requiring at least 5 mm of lateral approach sinus augmentation and two (2) or more implants and its restoration. . -Case 2 Template
3) A nterior maxilla with one or more root form implants and its restoration. -Case 3 Template
4) Any extraction with immediate implant placement or extraction with ridge preservation and delayed implant placement and its restoration. -Case 4 Template
5) Edentulous mandible or maxilla with four (4) or more root form implants supporting a fixed complete implant prosthesis. -Case 5 Template
6) An edentulous posterior mandible or maxillary quadrant with two (2) or more root form implants and its restoration. -Case 6 Template
7) Edentulous areas with more than two teeth missing and a deficient ridge requiring vertical or horizontal augmentation and the subsequent placement of two (2) or more root form implants and its restoration. -Case 7 Template
8) Case type to be determined by the candidate. The case cannot be a single tooth replacement.. -Case 8 Template
If you have any questions while you are compiling information to submit, please contact the ABOI Headquarters directly.
All potential candidates are encouraged to review the Candidate Handbook which outlines the examination process in greater detail. If at anytime you have any questions, please contact the ABOI Headquarters. Use the following support documents to assist in your application process: