Part I Written Examination: Candidate Application
The American Board of Oral Implantology/Implant Dentistry application deadline for Part I and Part II examination is now December 1st of each calendar year. Part II case submissions must be submitted electronically with the application.
There are 5 routes of entry for board certification, download the American Board of Oral Implantology/Implant Dentistry (ABOI/ID) application and apply under your qualifying route. Once you've completed your application, please send it via email to Diplomate@aboi.org. If you have any questions, please contact the ABOI/ID headquarters office.
Route 1: Dental Implantology Program | You are a graduate of a Full Time post-doctoral program 2 years in length in Oral Implantology.
Route 2: Board Certified Specialist | You are a board certified graduate of a full time advanced education program.
Route 3: Dental Specialist| Non-Board Certified | You have completed a full time advanced education program.
Route 4: General Practitioner | You are a general dentist, or dental specialist not listed in Routes 1, 2 or 3, you are licensed to practice dentistry where you reside.
Route 5: General Practitioner (AAID Fellow or Associate Fellow) | You are a general dentist, or dental specialist not listed in Routes 1, 2 or 3, you are licensed to practice dentistry where you reside.
For more detailed information, please click on application.
Part II Oral Examination: Candidate Application and Case Submission Templates
The ABOI/ID Part II Examination is an oral examination which consists of standardized cases developed by the ABOI/ID as well as cases that the candidate submits to the ABOI. (Candidates will be examined on four (4) of the cases that are submitted)
You will be required to submit eight (8) cases in electronic format with your application. All eight cases must have been restored and functional for a minimum of one year at the time of application and case submission.
Oral Examination case requirements:
1) Full arch removable implant overdenture with two (2) or more implants with a minimum diameter of 3.25mm. - Case 1 Template
2) Edentulous posterior maxilla with compromised vertical height (less than 5mm) requiring at least 3mm of sinus augmentation and two or more implants with a minimum diameter of 3.25mm. -Case 2 Template
3) Anterior maxilla with implant support that included one (1) or more root form implants with a minimum diameter of 3.0mm. -Case 3 Template
4) Extraction with immediate implant placement OR extraction with ridge preservation and delayed implant placement with a minimum diameter of 3.0mm. -Case 4 Template
5) Edentulous mandible with implant support that includes four (4) or more root form implants with a minimum diameter of 3.25mm.-Case 5 Template
6) A posterior quadrant in a partially edentulous mandible or maxilla with implant support that includes two (2) or more root form implants with a minimum diameter of 3.25mm.-Case 6 Template
7) Case showing the management of a width deficient bony ridge (less than 3mm) requiring augmentation or manipulation (excluding ridge reduction) and the placement of two (2) or more root form implants with a minimum diameter of 3.0mm. -Case 7 Template
8) Case to be determined by the candidate. Single tooth replacement cases are not accepted. -Case 8 Template
If you have any questions while you are compiling information to submit, please contact the ABOI Headquarters directly.
All potential candidates are encouraged to review the Candidate Handbook which outlines the examination process in greater detail. If at anytime you have any questions, please contact the ABOI Headquarters. Use the following support documents to assist in your application process: